Management of complicated Obstetrics
Happily most women enter pregnancy in a healthy state. However, this not always the case. Some may have medical conditions that precede the pregnancy or those that develop during the pregnancy.
Examples of medical conditions that need careful management :
- High Blood pressure or Pre eclampsia
- Hormonal conditions like thyroid disorders
- Autoimmune conditions like Rheumatoid arthritis, SLE
- Cardiac conditions like rheumatic and congenital heart disease
- Kidney and liver conditions
- Blood disorders like thrombocytopaenia
- History of cancer like breast cancer
For those with pre existing medical problems, ensuring stabilisation of the condition prior to pregnancy is important in ensuring the pregnancy proceeds smoothly. It maximises the best outcome for the baby. There may need to be alteration in the type or dose of medications used.
Each medical condition have different potential outcomes for the pregnancy. Whilst many are easily managed , some will need specialised care. Close collaboration with other medical specialists becomes an integral part of the management. It will also determine the choice of Hospital that such women should book into. Should you have such concerns, I can address this and advise on the management for both you and your baby.